Thursday, December 30, 2010

Kindle Book Review

My sweet husband got me a Kindle for Christmas. I have wanted one for so long!!! So far, I've read Water for Elephants and The Help.



Water for Elephants was really good. Simply put, it's about a guy who loses everything and joins the circus, falls in love and lives happily ever after (with bumps along the way of course). I'm so glad they are making it into a movie with my man Robert Pattinson and the lovely Reese Witherspoon. Yay! The book was a lot like The Notebook. It went back and forth between the actual story and the main character living in the present as an old man in a nursing home. Also, the book was basically a love story, but once they get together their are no details of their life together, just like The Notebook. You do find out they had kids, etc., but no details. Overall I really liked it. It was an easy read and not too long.



The Help was awesome! It's about black maids and their white employers in Jackson, MS in the early 1960s. I say that I liked it, but I do have a lot of complaints about the book. First of all, the chapters are broken down by character so each chapter has the name of a different character in the book and it's told by that person. The only reason I didn't like this was because I would be dying to find out what happens to a particular person, but then I would have to read 4 or 5 chapters before I got back to their story. I remember that was something I didn't like about The Poisonwood Bible because one of the characters was really boring and I would end up skipping her chapter to get to the good stuff. I didn't skip any chapters in The Help, though because all of the characters were interesting. Another thing I didn't like was that if left you wondering so many things at the end of the book. I'm sure the author does it on purpose, but it was like the book ended before it was supposed to. I felt like one more chapter with a little tidbit about how each person's situation turned out would have made me feel better. Oh well. The last thing I didn't like was during the whole story one of the main characters is trying desperately to find out what happened to her beloved maid who disappeared while she was away at school. No one will tell her because apparently it's so awful it will crush her. When the story finally does come out it was a huge letdown because it really wasn't a big deal. I even re-read it to make sure I didn't miss something. So even after all that complaining I will say I really liked this book. The story is really good and it was hard to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment