Today I went to the doctor for my regular appointment. I had an ultrasound before I saw my doctor. The ultrasound technician estimated Sam's weight to be 7 lbs. 12 oz, 98th percentile for head, shoulders, etc. So basically, he's huge and I'm not due until March 29th. Babies gain half a pound a week at this stage. Awesome. So, next Tuesday at my appointment my doctor is going to strip my membranes in hopes that I will go into labor before Sam gets any bigger. Before we knew how big he was, I was scheduled to be induced on March 23rd. Finley was 7 lbs. 4 oz and in the 50th percentile and I had trouble delivering her so I can't imagine what this one will be like. I can tell my doc wants me to ask for a c-section, but I just can't do it. Not without trying for a vaginal birth first. I'm too scared. I know there are good and bad things about both, but the fear of the unknown scares me a lot worse than what I experienced with Finley. Here's hoping my epidural works this time. Actually, I can handle the aftermath of whatever happens if only my epidural would work. Anyway, best case, I go into labor within 24 hours of the "procedure" (why do they pick names like stripping the membrane, it sounds awful) and he slides right out...somehow. I' also 1 1/2 cm dilated. I was really excited about that part. I was induced with Finley 1 day after my due date and wasn't dilated at all! All the news today really got my butt in gear. I went to Target and got everything I needed for the hospital. I got a nightgown and robe for the hospital the other day, I got Sam's coming home outfit and Finley's Big Sister shirt today right after my appointment. Hopefully, I'll get some things at my shower this weekend that I'll need. Speaking of, I hope I make it to my shower. It's in Birmingham on Saturday. Lord, please don't let me have my baby on the interstate.
For those of you who have 2 or more children, did you have that panicky feeling the second time around when you realized what you were about to go through again? I'm having a little bit of that feeling now. I'll gladly take the sleepless nights, the breastfeeding and the dumpy way my body looks after childbirth. What I'm NOT looking forward to is labor and delivery. Surely, it can't be any worse than the last time, right? Luckily, I have no choice. It has to be done :) I've also been wondering how it will be possible to love another child as much as I love Finley. I'm sure it's possible, but I can't imagine what it will be like. I guess I'll know soon enough :)
I actually don't remember that panicky feeling until after I got home. I showed up to the hospital 7.5 cm with #2 and still begged for the epi. I had to start pushing before fully numb... But it was enough to make a difference. When my insurance bill came at $150 I decided it was worth it.
ReplyDeleteI do remember being a little worried about the labor and delivery with Ellis. However, it was perfect!!! I got to the hospital and was 5 1/2 cm and they kept me there and was 8 1/2 the next morning, got the epideral and the delivery was SO easy!! Emerson's was not that way!!! You will be fine and this one will be much easier I'm sure for you too! My fear was more of how Emerson would do with us having Ellis at home and would she be jealous. She did great and that part didn't set in until after a few weeks. BUT it only lasted a few weeks too which was nice. Finley is a sweet girl and will LOVE having Sam around!! You just have to take any free time that you have when Sam is sleeping and spend special time with her - even if it is playing one game or something. I can't wait to hear how everything goes. Hope your shower goes well this weekend and keep us all updated on when Sam arrives!!
ReplyDeleteI am totally nervous about what to do with Lawson and how he is going to be!! I think it is natural! I had an ultrasound with Lawson at 36 weeks and he was measuring 8 lbs 4 oz and in the 95th percentile for head, shoulders, stomach,ect. I had him two weeks later and he was 8 lbs 3 oz. I had a c-section and it wasn't bad so don't worry too much! Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteif it makes you feel any better, everyone i know who had a horrible L&D experience with their first child, had a breeze the second time around...i always joked saying it was God's way of "rewarding you." hopefully, you will be the same way. good luck! i'm so excited for you guys!!
ReplyDelete