Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Please bring an appetizer...Great.

I have a meeting tonight for the Junior League and of course I was assigned to bring an appetizer. Not a drink, not a dessert, but an appetizer. Geez! I'm not a terrible cook, but I'm not the best and I don't enjoy cooking so I usually panic when I have to cook for someone other than me and Joey. And yes, I consider making an appetizer cooking. I found a recipe for Mini "sinful" BLTs with applewood smoked bacon, Roma tomatoes, arugula and remoulade sauce. I found the recipe in one of my cookbooks and realized it was from the people who catered my wedding and we actually had this at my wedding and it was delicious. I seriously doubt I will be able to do it justice. Here is the recipe if anyone gets in a food dilemma this holiday season. The recipe serves 12.

Remoulade sauce
3 cups mayonnaise
1 cup Creole or spicy mustard
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup rinsed drained capers, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

BLTs
8 slices white or wheat sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
3 or 4 thick slices applewood smoked bacon
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned
1/4 cup EVOO
salt and pepper to taste
4 Roma tomatoes, cut into 3/4 inch slices
8 ounces arugula or spinach, trimmed
springs of fresh basil for garnish

For the sauce
Combine mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice,parsley and capers in a bowl and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

For the BLTs
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cut the bread slices into rounds or aquares and arrange on baking sheet. Toast for 5 to 8 minutes or until light brown on both sides. Maintain the oven temperature. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with the brown sugar. Bake until brown and crisp. break bacon into pieces using size of toast points.

Whisk 1/2 cup basil, EVOO, salt and pepper in bowl. Add tomatoes and turn gently to coat. Arrange toast points on a platter. Layer each with 1 tomato slice, 1 teaspoon of the sauce, arugula and bacon. garnish platter with sprigs of basil.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment