
I'm not the least bit surprised it happened. It's been a long time coming that someone would get so riled up about a stupid football game that they would snap and do something so destructive. It's such a shame. I hope no one retaliates. I really do. I hope somehow the trees will survive and I hope they catch the guy that did it and punish him. The person who poisoned the trees is delusional, angry and obviously has nothing to lose. He knew it was a crime and he said he didn't care. When a person reaches that point he is a danger to society. What was done to the trees is terrible. I feel bad that it has come to this. Those trees are beautiful, historic living things that have been poisoned in hopes that they will die, all in the name of football. Al from Dadeville poisoned those trees because he was pissed that Auburn won the Iron Bowl. Simple as that. He doesn't give a crap about Bear Bryant. Bear Bryant probably rolled over in his grave when he heard Al say he did it because people were celebrating Bear Bryant's death in Toomer's Corner. Puh-lease!
To me the bigger picture is what's behind the act. Here is a simple fact. Football is a game. That's why it's called a football game. The dictionary defines game as a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators. A lot of people are commenting that the rivalry has gotten out of hand. I agree, it's not fun anymore. It's not about the sport or the skill required to play football, it's not about the hours of practice , the dedication, the dream, the discipline, the tradition or any of that good stuff that comes from being involved in team sports.
Let's back up to this past football season when I wished football would just go away because I was sick of all the insanity surrounding the sport. The people who play college football are usually ages 18-24. They are kids. Wishing or hoping that they will get hurt, fail or make a mistake or bad decision just because they don't play for your team is SICK! Tim Tebow comes to mind. We worship these college players who have been in jail, do drugs, cheat and lie, etc., but we make fun of Tebow who cried after a game because he had worked so hard to achieve a goal and came up short in the end. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you found that amusing you need help. People treat these kids like they are seasoned professionals who can deal with the ridicule. They aren't. Can you imagine what it would feel like to have so many people hate you when they don't even know you? That cannot be good for the psyche. Don't even get me started on the whole Cam Newton thing. I have never seen more effort to bring down a human being in my life. Geez! He's a college football player not the President. If Auburn hadn't been a winning team, no one would have cared about the computers or what his dad supposedly did. Players on other teams have done much worse. It was part of a great American tradition of bringing down whoever is on top and this year Auburn was on top. Next year, someone else will be on top and those people will be scrutinized, interrogated and hated. I don't know what can be done to cool the fans down, but maybe this incident will help open people's eyes. We have the nerve to say how insane it is for people in other countries to riot in the streets, but at least they are rioting for important issues. We are hating on each other because a group of men ran across a line with a ball more times than another group of men. Pathetic. I think, for spectators, football is meant for entertainment. I think it presents an opportunity to get together with friends and hang out. It's fun to wear your team's colors and cheer for them. I think it's great to have a team you believe in and support them in any way you can, but football is way to high on some people's priority list. Why do people like to do that? I don't get it and I'm glad I never will. Just because you love your team doesn't mean you have to hate other teams. Just love your team and let that be the end of it. Oh and world peace ;)
I'm curious...am I the only one who blocked friends from my newsfeed for being obnoxious during football season??? What's sad is that those people I blocked have stayed blocked because I haven't missed them (there was even an Auburn fan in there). Sorry folks, I just want to see pictures of my friends babies, birthday parties, vacations and funny status updates. I don't give a crap about your nasty football smack talk.
AMEN!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAmen! I totally blocked a few people that were saying insensitive comments. I won't miss them either! I am very glad that they caught Mr. Harvey and I hope that he is punished to the max for doing such a stupid thing. He can hurt/kill the oak trees but he can't kill our Auburn spirit and the Auburn family will live on and just grow stronger.
ReplyDeleteI think Chase and I are going to plan a trip to Auburn very soon so that we can dress up in our Auburn colors and take a picture with BR. She's never been to Auburn and it kills me that she may never get to experience rolling the oak trees at Toomer's Corner. We're just going to have to go early and make the memories while we can.
Thanks for your thoughts. WAR EAGLE!!