Thursday, September 30, 2010

MENSA here I come...

GRRRRRR! I am so mad at myself I can hardly stand it! For some reason, this whole couponing thing has been driving me crazy. I don't understand why I'm not saving as much money as other people who are shopping at the same stores and buying the same products. I guess it's my competitive streak. I have seriously been thinking about it since yesterday. Then it dawned on me as I was looking at my receipt the other day. When something is Buy One Get One Free, the second item isn't actually free, they just split the cost between the two. So if something is $3.00 and is B1G1 then they are both $1.50. I really thought the second item was free or cost $0, so I couldn't use a coupon on something that was free. So basically, yesterday when I went to the store, I got a TON of B1G1 free items. Almost everything I got was B1G1 free and I had a manufacturer's coupon for almost everything, but I only had one. I actually could have used two manufacturer's coupons for every B1G1 deal because the second item isn't actually free. If I had printed two of every coupon I could have saved myself another $40. Yeah, I'm super smart. I guess I'll know for next time, but I'm telling you, this is going to bother me for at least another week or so. (exasperated sigh)

3 comments:

  1. I did the same thing at first! I will send you a message I sent out yesterday with some tips, hopefully there will be one or two on there that you hadn't heard yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. see, i didn't know that either! thanks, ellie! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL yeah but you did figure it out!! good job! i need to get with you about a few more tricks. i'll try to send you ideas when they come to me :) also, you might have already looked at it, but couponmom.com is where i got a lot of info/strategies. also, one thing i do is cut out ONLY the coupons to things i know i will use or already use...b/c you can become very carried away :) even if something ends up being free if i don't use it it still cost me time. and my time is not free!

    ReplyDelete